Thursday, September 15, 2005

Ground Zero... late thoughts...







I was going to post on Sunday - but a combination of exhaustion -and anger - made me hang back. Anger over the anti-Americanism rampant over here - and the sheer ignorance on display in so many places... but I don't want this blog to be a political forum... that may happen elsewhere and soon. For the time being, I'll just stick to some thoughts I had when I took the photos above on my trip to NY in May with my 17-year old daughter, Amelia. We did the whole tourist trip - Staten Island Ferry, Broadway, Times Square, the fantastic MOMA, Macy's - and managed to fit in John Zorn et al at the Stone Club as mentioned in previous posts. But when we went to Ground Zero - that was something different. Solidarity, in some small way...to use that over-worked and over-loaded word from way back. What we were really aware off when we got there - on foot - and walked around to see what we could see through the mesh and construction - was the eery quiet. In the middle of a great city... It had a profound effect on both of us and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to take my daughter to New York, not just for all the sights, shopping, food, music, art, bookshops and most of all - the people - but to bear witness in some small way. 9/11 was the hinge for a new world to swing in on - and it will be my daughter and grandson who live with the fallout in later life...

No comments: