Monday, April 10, 2006

Monday morning...



















Usually the two words 'Monday morning' carry with them a whole freight-load of groans and gripes and hungover bad blues... but I'm feeling semi-chipper after a pleasant foray into the Artists' Quarter yesterday, incongruously ending up in my local with an Irish music session in the other bar and thinking that only a week ago or so I was at an Improvised Music Festival in Dublin. Some weird reversal here... maybe I should put on a traditional music night at the next Club Sporadic to confuse the unwary... Or maybe not... Due to various reasons (mainly health) it looks as if I will have more time to devote to this blog - it seems to have turned into an mp3 vehicle by accident a few months ago but I enjoy the discipline of banging up some music and having to think of something to write about it. But I want to return to my elliptic ramblings - intercut with music and whatever else takes my fancy - so I'm not sure how this will all turn out... But that's the fun of it, after all...

By the way, the sun is shining here in God's Little Acre - the photo was taken yesterday afternoon from Loughborough High Street. A bit unfair on the old place as Loughborough is not the worst place to live... although I'm looking to move on again sometime... getting the gypsy vibes...

The second photo is of Cathy, a friend of mine who plays and sings rather well and whom I haven't seen for a long time up till yesterday...
So - to mp3s...
Everyone seems to dig Lenny Bruce (I slip naturally into the patois - I'm of a certain age...) so here's some more, amigos... A long rap on religion - 'Christians and Jews' and one on 'The Ku Klux Klan.' I've been listening to a lot of Lenny these last few days - and wonder how he would go down now. Probably have a fatwa or a gang of born-again nuts chasing him. (I thought a fatwa was some kind of guitar distortion pedal until Salman Rushdie's 'Satanic Verses' came along...)... long live free speech...

I have some longer stuff by LB which I may put up... but need to get on with some reviews... we'll see...

Lastly - some wise words from Uncle Bill, backed by the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy...


Download

Lenny Bruce

Christians and Jews

Ku Klux Klan
Buy

Download
William S Burroughs

Words of advice for young people


Buy

3 comments:

Molly Bloom said...

Oh goodness, you like the great Burroughs too. Poor Old Bill. Love him. Loughborough High St looks particularly miserable. But that Cathy looks sweet. Have you got any samples of your own music you can put down for an MP3 so that we can listen???

Molly Bloom said...

PS - I hope you aren't too ill. I have been off from work sick for 3 months now - hence the time to blog. Take care :)

Rod Warner said...

I've loads of my own stuff and live improvisations with my collaborators. I've moved from electric and acoustic guitars to more laptop based stuff - my solo work tends to veer between the abstract to more rhythmic/electro stuff - or something...
illness? Knock-on from a couple of years back - thyroid condition which is taking ages to sort out the correct medication levels - very boring and very tiring at sporadic moments - but I gives me time to work on other things... how's your health? 3 months sounds a long time - but I was off for over a year initally and now back on again... I'll whack a couple of my things up this week - take care also!